Friday 28 August 2009

Day 122 - indoor sprint

Type - Steady run (indoor)

Distance - 4 miles

Time - 34 minutes 12 seconds

The plan for the evening was to warm up on the cross trainer and then do four miles on the treadmill. Before I started training I always seemed to find the treadmill easier than running outside, so I thought that the four miles would be an easy enough run. The cross training went well, and I ended up doing fifteen minutes of relatively intense exericse.

The on to the treadmill. I started off with a warm up, running at 10 km/h. After five minutes I sped up gradually to 12 km/h before topping off at 12.5 km/h. It was tough going, and soon the sweat was pouring. Perhaps running on the treadmill was only easy at the slower speeds. After half an hour I was still a few hundred metres away from the four mile goal, and so I burst into a sprint for a couple of minutes, raising the speed to 16 km/h. I then quickly slowed down, and finished in the relatively laggardly time of 34 minutes 12 seconds.

I stepped off the treadmill absolutely dripping, t-shirt sodden and shorts dripping. I am still not too sure why it seemed to require such effort to achieve a modest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment