Sunday 13 September 2009

Day 141 - north London soul

Type - Steady cycle

Distance - 49 kilometres

Time - 2 hours 20 minutes

Average speed - 21 km/h

I started the day with some encouraging signs of losing weight as I tried on a suit I had bought in 2005 and hadn't been able to fit into since. I had intended to see how much I needed to get it adjusted so I could wear it at the wedding, and was pleasantly surprised to squeeze into it without too much bother. A couple more weeks of weight loss and adjustment shouldn't be necessary. I might regret making the decision not to have it altered, but only time will tell!

My ankle has improved massively since
before the weekend. The swelling has gone done noticeably, the bruising fading into paler reds and purples and I've not had any pain moving it since Friday. I still didn't think it was quite the right time to go for a run, and instead decided to take to the bike.

I didn't have much of a plan and just set off from my house heading north (map). I got to Finsbury Park, looped round and made for Crouch End. There are two pretty steep hills leading northwards - up Crouch Hill and Muswell Hill, and these ground me down to a crawl. After mounting these twin impediments the going was easier, and I circled round through Finchley, Hendon and Golders Green. Eventually I looped back to Hampstead, back into central London and around the Royal Parks.

I didn't manage the quickest of times, but, with the traffic jams, lights and other delays inherent in central London cycling, it wasn't a bad effort. I got back at 3pm with enough time to head to Clissold Leisure Centre and do a decent upper body weights workout and a session on the cross trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment