Friday 11 September 2009

Day 139 - the (not quite) two hour time trial

Type - Steady cycle

Distance - 35.6 kilometres

Time - 1 hours 40 minutes

Average speed - 21.5 km/h

The plan for today was to go for a run on the back of Monday's very pleasing performance. Wednesday's ankle smashing antics put the firm kibosh on that. But fortunately cycling was not causing any problems at all, so instead I decided to do an inner London two hour time trial on the bike.

The route would take me first west through the Royal Parks (down the Mall with St. James's on the left, through Green Park and Hyde Park before looping back down) then along the Embankment through the City and out on the Mile End Road until Bow, up to Victoria Park, along the park until the north-west tip, through Hackney, Stoke Newington, Stamford Hill and back home (map).

Obviously central London at rush hour is not the best place for a time trial. A lot of red lights, traffic jams and other cyclists slow things down. Going through the parks and the Embankment improved things - fewer delays and some faster sections. I thought I would get to two hours, but only managed 1 hour 40 minutes by the time I got home. I could have extended it, but the lure of home with a bath and food was too much. Besides, I wasn't suitably dressed for the long haul in my commuter clothes. An average speed of 21.5 km/h was, considering the obstacles and impediments, a decent time.

No comments:

Post a Comment