Friday 17 July 2009

Day 69 - 89 - Injurious injury

It has been a while since I have updated this blog. I haven't given up, lost interest or become lazy. Instead I have been frustrated, angry and injured. I undoubtably committed one of the cardinal errors of running in overtraining - racing to the half-marathon and running on despite the tell tale signs of pains in my lower legs. And I have paid a heavy price in being unfit for a month.

At the outset I maintained some of my running, at football, and general exercise with cycling. I think the weekly shock of running around the pitch meant that I never had a period of time where my legs could recover. There was always either a twinge of pain or the threat of a renewed attack upon doing some physical activity.

I went for a run on Sunday evening, and, at first, thought that it was going well. Then I started to get a twinge in my groin and the dull pain from the lower calves became a more intense pain as I ground round the three miles. There is no point enduring training that is painful and, in the long run, this is only going to exaserbate injury.

So I have decided to take a proper break from football, from impact training and to try and give my legs the time they need to heal. I have also bought a calf muscle support which may help when I get back into running. I am hoping that I will be back on the road soon enough, because the first fifty days of this project were great and I am annoyed that I haven't been able to make any progress in the over the next fifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment